Decoding the nutritious benefits of Walnuts (Akhrot) during pregnancy
Walnuts, called Akhrot in Hindi, is considered to be a superfood. Due to its rich nutritional value, it is always better to choose walnuts as your snacking option rather than packaged and processed food.
As it has many health benefits, eating walnuts during pregnancy is completely safe and will help the mother in the journey. Listed below are some significant benefits of consuming walnuts during pregnancy:
- A Brainy child– The delicious and crunchy walnut can help quicken the baby’s brain development process. Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, walnuts will boost the overall brain growth of your child. In fact, adults are also advised to eat nuts to develop better memory, so why not eat walnuts during the pregnancy itself.
- Controls Blood cholesterol Level– The Cholesterol level of a mother might fluctuate during pregnancy for many reasons. Walnuts help control the level by reducing bad cholesterol (LDL) and increasing good cholesterol (HDL) as walnuts contain plant sterols.
- Rich in Antioxidants – Walnuts are highly rich in antioxidants, which are very important during pregnancy as antioxidants help strengthen the immune system. As 90% of the antioxidants are present in walnuts’ brown skin, you should consume it along with the skin for reaping maximum benefits.
- Helps to induce sleep– During the third trimester, mothers often face the issue of lack of sleep. Walnuts help to control melatonin levels which in turn induces sleep. So if all the mothers out there are having sleepless nights, now you know what to do.
- High in protein and fiber – Walnuts are rich in proteins and fiber, and both are essential nutrients for an expecting woman. Apart from that, walnuts had good copper content, which is vital for the development of foetus.
Eating walnuts during pregnancy has many benefits, but all mothers should keep certain things in mind while consuming them:
- Excess of everything is bad, so consuming an excessive amount of walnuts during your pregnancy can lead to problems like Diarrhoea, Bloating, or long-run problems like Anaemia.
- If the expecting woman even has a mild allergy to walnuts, don’t consume it or take your doctor’s advice.
- Consume walnuts at a moderate level, as excessive consumption can increase the chances of bleeding during delivery.
However, Walnuts are said to be a superfood, but consume it with proper advice from your gynecologist to avoid any kind of problems, Have a happy and healthy pregnancy!