Covid Update: Indian States That Have Announced Lockdown-Night Curfew
With India’s vaccination drive currently at its third stage, the country is witnessing the second wave of coronavirus with a surge in the number of fresh covid-19 cases. Many states like Maharashtra, Delhi, Gujarat, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, and Madhya Pradesh have announced either a partial lockdown, weekend lockdown, or night curfew.
The state governments are taking all the necessary steps to curb the spread of the virus. The country is preparing its citizens to fight the second wave by constantly telling them the importance of wearing masks, sanitising their hands, and maintaining social distancing.
Here’s the complete list of states that have announced partial lockdown or night curfew:
- Madhya Pradesh– The Madhya Pradesh government has imposed a complete lockdown at all urban areas from 6 pm on Friday (9th April 2021) to 6 am on Monday (12th April 2021) . Two of the biggest cities of the state – Bhopal, and Indore are continuously recording the highest spike in daily cases.
- .Uttar Pradesh– The UP government has imposed the night curfew in major cities of Uttar Pradesh, including Lucknow (9 pm – 6 am), Varanasi ( 9 pm to Morning), Kanpur (10 pm to 6 am), and Prayagraj (10 pm – 8 am).
While the night curfew in Lucknow will continue to operate till 16th April, it will operate till 30th April in Kanpur. The night curfew will remain effective in Varanasi and Prayagraj till further notice. Essential services are exempted from the curfew.
- Punjab– The state government of Punjab announced the night curfew across the state from 9 pm to 5 am till 30th April. All kinds of political gatherings have also been banned in the state. The state government also said violators would be booked under Disaster Management Act and Epidemics Act.
- Delhi– The Kejriwal government imposed a night curfew from 10 pm to 5 am till 30th April. The capital saw a rise in the number of new cases of covid-19, after which the decision to implement night curfew was taken. Only essential services and emergency movements of vehicles are allowed during the curfew.
- Maharashtra– The Maharashtra government announced a weekend lockdown and night curfew in the state till 30th April. The state has imposed strict restrictions on private transport, offices, the entertainment industry, hotels, restaurants, schools, and cooperative housing societies. Maharashtra has been the worst covid-19 hit state in the country.
- Gujarat– 20 main cities of Gujarat are under night curfew from 8 pm to 6 am till 30th April. The state government has also banned all kinds of gatherings, rallies, and meetings after the state witnessed a surge in the number of coronavirus cases.
- Rajasthan – The Rajasthan government has closed cinema halls, gymnasiums and has also imposed a night curfew from 8 pm to 6 am. The state government has also ordered the suspension of school for class 1-9 students till 19th April. Home delivery of food is allowed, but dine-in services of restaurants are prohibited during the curfew.
- Odisha – The state government has put ten districts of the state (Sundargarh, Jharsuguda, Sambalpur, Bargarh, Bolangir, Nuapada, Kalahandi, Nawrangpur, Koraput, and Malkangiri) under night curfew (10 pm to 5 am) starting from 5th April. It will remain effective till further notice. Non-essentials activities and marketplaces will remain shut during the curfew.
While the Odisha government has imposed the night curfew in 10 districts, no such curfew or lockdown has been put at Bhubaneshwar. Instead, more focus is being put on micro-containment and generating awareness to curb the virus’ spread.