Asia Cup Schedule Out: India-Pakistan To Face Off On August 28
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has officially announced the Asia Cup 2022 schedule on Tuesday. The 15th edition of the world’s most loved tournament is supposed to hit the grounds on August 27 at the Dubai International Stadium. In the opening match, Sri Lanka will take on Afghanistan in Dubai. Whereas, the defending champions, India will commence their campaign against arch-rivals Pakistan at the same venue, the very next day, i.e on August 28.
Announcing the dates, the Asian Cricket Council President and BCCI secretary Jay Shah tweeted, “The wait is finally over as the battle for Asian supremacy commences on 27th August with the all-important final on 11th September. The 15th edition of the Asia Cup will serve as ideal preparation ahead of the ICC T20 World Cup”.
The BCCI has cleared that Dubai and Sharjah will be the two venues for the Asia Cup 2022 tournament. Dubai will host 10 out of the total 13 games, which includes the final match, to be conducted on September 11. Initially, the tournament was supposed to be hosted by Sri Lanka, but it moved to UAE last week because of the ongoing political turmoil that disrupted the normal life in the island nation.
The BCCI secretary Jay Shah was quoted saying it in the press release on July 27 that every possible effort was made to host the tournament in Sri Lanka, and the decision to shift it to UAE was taken after much deliberation. He further cleared that UAE will be the new venue while Sri Lanka will continue to retain the hosting rights.
The tournament has been played in two formats on a rotational basis. It is either ODI or T20 format. The previous edition, i.e., 2018 was played in the ODI format in UAE, and so, this year the game will be played in T20 format. Out of the 14 editions played since 1984, Sri Lanka has won five tournaments held in the year 1986, 1997, 2004, 2008, and 2014, while Pakistan has won two tournaments in the year 2000 and 2012.
Since the dates have been announced, the cricket fans are extremely excited about the IND vs PAK match. India vs Pakistan match is scheduled on August 28, and the match will be played at Dubai International Stadium. There will be a total of 13 matches, where the first match will be played on August 27 and the last one is scheduled on Sunday, September 11.
Asia Cup 2022 Match Schedule
The match dates are as follows:
- First match between Sri Lanka and Afghanistan on August 27, 2022.
- Second match between India and Pakistan on August 28, 2022.
- Third match between Bangladesh and Afghanistan on August 30, 2022.
- Fourth match between India and qualifier on August 31, 2022.
- Fifth match between Sri Lanka and Bangladesh on September 1, 2022.
- Sixth match between Pakistan and qualifier on September 2, 2022.
- Seventh match between B1 and B2 on September 3, 2022.
- Eighth match between A1 and A2 on September 4, 2022.
- Ninth match between A1 and B1 on September 6, 2022.
- Tenth match between A2 and B2 on September 7, 2022.
- Eleventh match between A1 and B2 on September 8, 2022.
- Twelfth match between B1 and A2 on September 9, 2022.
- Thirteenth match between 1st super four and 2nd super four September 11, 2022.
The wait is finally over as the battle for Asian supremacy commences on 27th August with the all-important final on 11th September.
The 15th edition of the Asia Cup will serve as ideal preparation ahead of the ICC T20 World Cup. pic.twitter.com/QfTskWX6RD
— Jay Shah (@JayShah) August 2, 2022