Bollywood Films VS South Indian Films : Which one is Better?
We sit and celebrate the success of Hindi cinema and often forget that there are some
masterpiece being made in the regional cinema. Movies like Drishyam, Singham, Baahubali, and Sarkar have proved the immense capability South Indian film Industry owns.
South Indian film industry collectively refers to 4 different film industries, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, and Kannada film industries. Over 50% of the total revenue of the Indian cinema is represented by the South Indian film industry.
Bollywood has a had history of remaking South Indian movies, so are they better than Bollywood movies, or is the Hindi cinema running out of subject to make a film.
Movies like Drishyam, Bhool Bhulaiyaa, Wanted, Laxmii and Ghajini are remakes of South Indian films. There can be some points where the South Indian industry really wins.
- Originality– This point can be seen from the fact that many Hindi cinema directors remake hit South Indian films. South movies are more content-driven and vibrant.
- Experimental – South movie directors play with a lot of experiments, and that’s why they take the trophy home when it comes to uniqueness and exceptional storyline. From gripping thrillers to action-packed movies, you will find a south film in every genre of Indian cinema.
- Larger-than-Life action sequences– The movies are also famous for their action sequences, and they depict their heroes like a god. He will win; he will rule and ultimately crush the villain.
- Unique Storyline– From Rajnikanth’s 10 feet high jump to Mohanlal’s portrayal of a simple family man, South movies have every kind of storyline for you. The movies are so diverse from each other that you will never feel “This is again the same stupid thing that I have watched zillion times”.
Now, let’s look at some of the points where Bollywood takes the number –
- Music– Bollywood movies have some of the best music in the Indian Film industry. From classical songs to western songs, Bollywood has every kind of music. However, South has also got some fantastic singers and composers like AR Rahman, K.S. Chitra and S.P. Balasubrahmanyam who have also lent their voices in many Bollywood movies.
- Romance– A genre where Bollywood is the clear-cut winner has to be the Romance Genre. The Hindi film industry is famous all over the world for its portrayal of romance. Both industries have a different idea of romance, but Indian audiences seems to love the Bollywood’s version more.
- Drama– South Indian movies loves to showcase drama in a different style altogether but nonetheless, Bollywood can totally give a takkar to South movies in terms of Drama.
- Humour– From classic comedies like Gol Maal, Chupke Chupke, Janey Bhi Do Yaaro to modern-day Rom-coms like Housefull, PK, Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani, Bollywood indeed is the king of Humour.
To conclude, every industry has the talent and potential to produce a diverse type of content, but it all depends on the kind of content you resonate more with.
It’s totally dependent on the viewers, so we’ll leave the ball in your court to decide which industry is better? Hindi Film industry or South Indian film industry.