Exclusive: Fitness Advices Right From Fitness Influencer Priyanka Chaturvedi
Who doesn’t love a fit and healthy body, but when it comes to working out and eating healthy, it seems like a big deal. Well, each one of us has gone through this stage, although exceptions are always there! Today, we have got one such exceptional and inspiring story of a fitness influencer Priyanka Chaturvedi. Based in Agra, Priyanka started her fitness journey to gain weight and become skinny to healthy. Apart from being an influencer, Priyanka has done MBA and currently works in a corporate firm. Going strong in the fitness influencer game with 90.4k followers on her Instagram account, Priyanka keeps her followers engaged by regularly posting fitness content like abs challenge, Q&A sessions, her diet, and workout routine.
In an exclusive interview to All That Trending, Priyanka gave insightful fitness advices for everyone on a fat to fit or skinny to fit journey and shared her fitness routine.
All That Trending: 5 tips you’d like to give to teenagers who are on a weight loss journey
Priyanka: These are the five general tips that might work for anyone wanting to embark on a fitness journey, irrespective of their age or goals. I believe they are the foundation to any stable, long-lasting and impactful workout regime.
- Don’t go crazy with your diet. Do not follow trends and fad diets that demand a lot of preparation, where sourcing the right kind of food becomes a hassle and expensive. Eating in balance is the buzzword, and going overboard with anything is counter-productive in the long run.
- Often, people equate walking with exercising. Yes, it is good to get you out of bed and in the mindset of exercising, but it shouldn’t be the only agenda of your exercise programme. It isn’t intensive enough to see gains on its own, but coupling it with stretches, bodyweight exercises, or jogging can boost your progress manifold in a short span of time.
- The simple formula to lose or gain weight is a caloric deficit (taking in calories less than your daily maintenance amount) or a caloric surplus (eating more calories than your daily maintenance amount). No single food can make you fat or skinny. Doing exercise without keeping an eye on your caloric intake will make it harder for your fitness goals.
- Eat desi, folks! Indian foods contain all the essential macros, calcium and vitamins needed by the body to sustain workouts, fuel muscle growth, or aid fat loss. Dals, beans, nuts, whole wheat rotis, soya and a host of other inexpensive food items in your kitchen can get you started if budget is a constraint; plus, it is sustainable in the long run as well!
- Never leave out strength training from your workout plan! Resistance training of some sort, be it with the help of weights or the weight of your own body, helps quicken the metabolic rate, which aids in fat loss even when you are resting. Don’t shy away from those pretty 10lbs dumbbells the next time you see them. Go say hello!
All That Trending: What keeps you motivated to stay on your fitness goals?
Priyanka: I am one of the lucky ones where working out has never seemed like a burdensome chore that needs to be done. Instead, an activity I am excited to do every day without needing to watch a motivational video the night before. However, I also believe you can’t always be motivated to work out every day; rather, you need to be disciplined. Ingraining it in your routine is essential, to the point where when you don’t workout, you feel a restlessness creeping into your body. The first few weeks are the toughest, but once it becomes part of your routine, you can’t help but look forward to sweating it out to your favourite Punjabi track!
All That Trending: Describe your fitness journey
Priyanka: I was in a precarious situation when I first started working out. I was skinny, and according to the majority opinion, I did not need to workout as Indian society still equates being skinny to being fit. However, I was not content with my body, I wanted to gain weight, which was a concept difficult for people to wrap their heads around, and when I went into a caloric surplus diet, my family members thought I had lost my mind! However, with the right research and exercise programme, I gained weight the healthy way, and during the pandemic, I spent most of the time on a yoga mat, trying out different routines and finding out which one is the best for me. In the end, I fell in love with the journey, and don’t plan on stopping any time soon!
All That Trending: Share your fitness routine with our readers
Priyanka: I do not have a fixed routine. However, I make sure to workout at least 3 days in a week, giving me enough wriggle room to move around my routines if I find myself burdened with some other work. 2 of those 3 days are reserved for a lower body workout, while a full-body workout is reserved for the third. However, I try never to take an off day when it comes to the diet. I make sure to keep my protein intake high while minimizing junk food to perhaps once a week. Again, that isn’t usually a problem for me because I love my dals, Sabzis and rotis.
All That Trending: 5 workouts that everyone should incorporate in their workout routine for best results
Priyanka: Everyone should incorporate compound exercises in their workout routine. A compound exercise hits multiple body parts at once, allowing for greater stress on the body, which in turn helps the muscle tissue grow. Here are my staples that I personally can’t live without –
- Squats – The love of my life! A very efficient and very powerful exercise for the lower body, hitting most of the muscles below the waist. Use resistance bands if a barbell is hard to come by, or just your body weight will work initially.
- Push-ups – The squats of the upper body! A very beginner-friendly exercise that once again hits multiple muscle groups, increasing the rate of muscle growth. Try different variations to keep things spicy!
- Pull-ups – The hardest one to master but the most effective. Start with assisted pull-ups but gradually try to do them without any assistance. Make sure to do them at the beginning of every workout.
- Cardio – Strength training along with cardio will give you the best results. But if you are trying to gain weight like I was, keep cardio to once or twice a week and focus on strength training.
- However, the best workout is the one that gets done. If you don’t feel like doing any of the above, then just get your body moving. Stretch, skip, run, dance or just do a set of 10 reps of squats, but make sure you GET IT DONE!
Well, as a fitness enthusiast, Priyanka Chaturvedi believes in not just wishing for a fit and healthy body but also getting up and working for it. Always trying to motivate her followers, Priyanka says that once someone starts working on their body and see results, they would never go back to being unhealthy. Priyanka Chaturvedi has collaborated with many brands, including Clovia, Peesafe, Green aroma, Fabcurate, Roundneck, and Naturyz. If you are on a fitness spree, follow what Priyanka said: “Eat desi and sweat it out on Punjabi songs.”