Delhi Government Imposes Lockdown in Delhi From 10 PM Tonight
A complete lockdown has been imposed in the capital from 10 pm tonight till 5 am on 26th April to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. The decision to impose a “mini lockdown” was taken after a meeting between Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Delhi Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal on Monday.
Addressing a press conference on Monday, Kejriwal said, “Delhi is witnessing the fourth wave of covid-19. Today, 25000 new cases are coming daily, and Delhi’s healthcare system has reached its threshold. Any healthcare system cannot take unlimited number of patients. If we don’t take any decisive step towards controlling the spread of the virus, then the system can collapse.”
“After discussing the ongoing covid-19 situation in the capital with the LG of Delhi, we came to the conclusion that Delhi’s healthcare system will be unable to take a lot of patients, and if we don’t impose lockdown in the state, then Delhi will be in a vulnerable state. After taking the current situation into consideration, it is imperative to impose a lockdown in the state for few days. From 10 pm today till 5 am next Monday (26th April), Delhi will be under lockdown,” Kejriwal further added.
दिल्ली में तेज़ी से बढ़ते कोरोना मामलों के मद्देनज़र एक महत्वपूर्ण घोषणा | Press Conference | LIVE https://t.co/zAECIEcZ53
— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) April 19, 2021
What All Services Are Exempted From The “Mini Lockdown” ?
- All essential services and organisations dealing with essential services will continue to function.
- Scheduled weddings can take place with the capacity of a maximum of 50 people; curfew passes will be issued for the same.
- Shops like grocery stores, dairy & milk booths, pharmaceutical stores, meat & fish shops, and home-delivery services of the same will continue to operate.
- Banks, Insurance companies, and ATMs will continue to function.
- Internet services, telecommunications, broadcasting & cable services, and IT-enabled services have been kept out of the purview of lockdown.
- Home-delivery services and take-away services of restaurants will remain operative.
- Services like cold storage, warehousing, and private services will continue to function.
The Chief Minister Office (CMO) Delhi shared the guidelines on Twitter
Hon'ble CM Shri @ArvindKejriwal has announced a week-long lockdown in Delhi from 10 pm tonight (April 19) to 6 am next Monday (April 26) following a sharp surge in the number of Coronavirus cases in the city. pic.twitter.com/vocwKchAFj
— CMO Delhi (@CMODelhi) April 19, 2021
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal also appealed to the migrant workers of Delhi not to leave the state.
“I have always been against lockdown; I believe that lockdown cannot eradicate coronavirus, but it can control the spread of the virus. If any state’s healthcare system reaches its threshold, then it is imperative to impose a lockdown to decrease the number of patients, so that the healthcare system can be made stronger.” he further added.
Delhi recorded 24,375 fresh covid-19 cases and 167 deaths on Saturday.