How Can Breast Implants Affect Your Overall Health?
The arrival of cosmetic surgery in the health market proved to be a boon for many. Both silicone and saline breast implants quickly became every women’s most popular plastic surgery procedure. There are broadly two types of breast implants – saline implants that are filled with sterile salt water or saline and silicone gel-based that are filled with silicone gel.
A lot of people claimed that there was a connection between silicone gel implants and the risk of contracting immunological disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus or fibromyalgia etc. However, there is no such evidence that directly establishes the link, but the World Health Organisation has raised a possible concern of getting rare cancer by breast implants known as breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL).
What Are The Complications Involved With Breast Implants?
- Breast tissue atrophy – thinning and shrinking of the skin
- Chest wall deformity – chest wall or underlying rib cage appears deformed
- Extrusion – the skin breaks down, and the implant appears through the skin
- Lymphadenopathy or lymphedema – swollen or enlarged lymph nodes
- Palpability – the implant can be felt through the skin
- Rupture – a tear or hole in the implant’s outer shell
- Latrogenic injury or damage: injury or damage to tissue or implant as a result of implant surgery
- Skin rash – a rash on or around the breast
- Necrosis – dead skin or tissue around the breast. It can be caused by infection, use of steroids, smoking or excessive heat or cold therapy.
- Seroma – the collection of fluid around the implant that may cause swelling, pain and bruising
Causes and symptoms of breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL)
Experts all around the world say that people with textured implants have a greater risk of getting BIA-ALCL than those with smooth implants. Scientist believes that textured implants have a greater area on which a bacterial infection can form, leading to a type of immune response that may result in BIA-ALCL. However, the type of cancer is quite rare. Scientists maintain that it’s imperative to prevent infection by keeping the surgery site very clean and hygenic.
The symptoms include:
- Continous swelling or pain
- Capsular contracture
- Change in breast shape or colour